Making of…

Finding the Right Image

From the very beginning, even before I submitted my proposal, I described my project as the following: “Narrating an epic story with the aid of a series of images printed on a curtain.”(1)

Therefore, after submitting my proposal, the very first task I sat for myself was to find the right image. I was mostly looking online although I did look at some books and magazines as well. Given the popularity of the story I had chosen, Rostam and Sohrab, I knew I would find many different images after doing a simple Google search.

ef96b-rostamrakhsh 18431-rostamtahmineh

Off the Curtain

these are some of the images I found online after doing a quick search. T

here were many different types of pictures available so immediately I realized that I need to decide what type and style would fit my project.

I was looking at individual images from the story I had chosen, Rostam O Sohrab, in hope of putting them together and creating a “curtain.” However, since the story I had chose is an already exiting story, and a very popular one, in Iran, I was also hoping to find an already complete image for a “curtain.”The latter was more difficult to find but I did manage to find two and used one of them for my rehearsal process.

1c568-photopardeh

 1) The idea of an image aiding the storytelling in narrating the story came from a traditional style of Iranian theatre called PardehKhani(Reading off the Curtain)


Rehearsal 

I was planning to have the image printed on a large banner. However, for most of my rehearsal process I used a projector to project the image on the wall.

Photos by Camilla Brison

74d9d-dsc_0041 eac31-dsc_0073

Rehearsal

I tried to have the projected image in the background in as many rehearsals as possible. However, I did spent some of my rehearsal sessions without it, trying to imagining the image on the background.

Given the solo nature of my piece, aside from the few times when I had an outside eye, I was mostly rehearsing individually. Therefore, I would film myself as often as possible and I would review them later.

one of my rehearsal clips


Rehearsal – 2 

In one of my rehearsal, I experimented with the idea of adding an additional performer to my project.

Rehearsal (2)

 Rehearsal (2)

Rehearsal (2)

photos by Camilla Brison


Creating a New Image

Although the image I had found online was very useful for my rehearsal process, the resolution was not high enough for it to be printed on a large banner (1.5 to 2.00 meter). Therefore, I went back to my original idea of trying to make a huge image out of smaller images.

Finally a new “curtain” was designed by Khodadad Rezakhani

The image was then printed on a banner by AK Design & Print

e4c3e-pardehkhodadad-tiff

7c88c-photo5


 

Interim

My interim presentations were on the 11th and 12thof June.

Preparation

98e14-photo9

3bfd2-photo8

66b41-photo6

Presentation

74733-dsc_0264 3d9fc-dsc_0275

 

3252c-dsc_0287

791ac-dsc_0332

14047-dsc_0293

Photos by Camilla Brison


 

Public Performance – 1

My first public performance was in the Isle of Wight as part of the Ventnor Fringe Festival. I performed on 17th of August in the Yurt

Off the Curtain

Outside the Yurt

Outside the Yurt

 

 

 

 

cb726-photo17-08-2013074126

Inside the venue

Inside the venue

 

I also made a Facebook page for my project

OffTheCurtain


 Public Performance – 2

My second public performance was on August 20th at SOAS

Off the Curtain at SOAS

Preparation

warm-up before the performance!

the Performance

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s